International Summer School in Forced Migration
Monday, 7 July 2014 to Friday, 25 July 2014
Oxford Department of International Development, 3 Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TB /
Wadham College, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PN
About the Summer School
The International Summer School in Forced Migration fosters dialogue between academics, practitioners and policymakers working to improve the situation of refugees and forced migrants.
The Summer School offers an intensive, interdisciplinary and participative approach to the study of forced migration. It aims to enable people working with refugees and other forced migrants to reflect critically on the forces and institutions that dominate the world of the displaced.
Now in its 25th year, the three-week course combines the very best of Oxford University’s academic excellence with a stimulating and participatory method of critical learning and reflection.
The Summer School is intended for:
- Mid-career and senior policymakers and practitioners involved with humanitarian assistance and policy making for forced migrants. Participants typically include host government officials, intergovernmental and non-governmental agency personnel engaged in planning, administering and co-ordinating assistance.
- Researchers specialising in the study of forced migration.
Applicants should have:
- substantial experience in working with, or on issues related to, refugees or other forced migrants;
- a first degree as a minimum;
- proficiency in the English language. As a guide, foreign-language English speakers should be able to obtain a score of 7.00 in ELTS/IELTS or 570 in TOEFL.
Asfari Foundation bursaries are available for Summer School candidates who work on refugee-related issues from Palestine, Lebanon and Syria (or Palestinians and Syrians resident in the Arab world).
Candidates wishing to be considered for an Asfari Foundation bursary must apply directly via the International Summer School office and not the Asfari Foundation.
Please note: the deadline for all bursary applications has now passed.
Please note: The deadline for applications to the International Summer School in Forced Migration 2014 has now passed. Applications received after 1 May will be placed on the waiting list and decisions will be communicated after 15 May 2014.
Fee: £3,220. This includes 19 nights’ bed-and-breakfast accommodation; all tuition; all course materials, including reading materials; and a range of social activities. Lunches, evening and weekend meals are not included in the course fee.
For all enquiries, please contact:
Refugee Studies Centre
Oxford Department of International Development
University of Oxford
3 Mansfield Road
Oxford OX1 3TB, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1865 281728