Cookies on this website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Continue' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.


For Visiting Fellows who are self-funded the fee is £1,200 per term; for those funded by foundations, trusts, non-governmental organisations, government or inter-governmental organisations, the fee is £1,500 per term. 


The RSC does not have a bursary scheme for scholarships or grants but, once an application has been approved for affiliation, it can provide information and advice about potential sources of funding and write letters in support of funding applications. In the past, Fellows have received financial help from the British Council, the Commonwealth Foundation, the European Commission, the Ford Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation, the Fulbright Commission, the United Nations University and many non-governmental organisations.

Accommodation and expenses

It is recommended that Fellows have at least £900 per month in addition to cover food, accommodation and other incidental living expenses. 

Fellows are expected to find their own accommodation. Rooms in shared houses in Oxford cost about £400 per month, plus lighting and heating. Rental accommodation in Oxford is in very high demand and Fellows are strongly advised to make the necessary arrangements as early as possible. Although the RSC cannot provide or arrange accommodation, it is happy to offer information and advice.

Language requirements

Because English is the working language of the Department for both academic and practical purposes, applicants are normally expected to have fluency in English of at least the standard required by Oxford for foreign graduate students. 

Please see the University’s webpages for further details.

Visa requirements

Visiting Research / Study Fellowships are subject to UK Border Agency regulations. Visitors from outside the EEA must ensure that they hold an appropriate visa to carry out research in the University prior to arrival in the UK.